Friday, January 06, 2006

Popular with the ladies

Figured I was overdue for a post. In the last couple of days I've been taking care of some much needed errands, including getting my Colorado drivers license and license plates. I've had an interesting reaction over giving up my New Jersey license and plates. As silly as it seems, I feel like I've suddenly severed the ties to my home State. I say it's silly because I haven't actually lived there for a very long time, but I've always considered it to be where I'm from, and the plates and license were what showed that I was from there. It was a weird source of pride for me, if for no other reason than to demonstrate that not everyone from Jersey is a member of the Mafia.

When I was on the road over the summer, people would ask me where I'm from, and I'd say New Jersey. The reaction was always sort of luke warm. When they'd ask Chrissy and found out she was from Victoria, they reacted with much more delight. As soon as I moved and told people where I lived, I got the same reaction that Chrissy was getting about Victoria. New Jersey isn't a very exciting place for most people. My guess is they've never been there and believe what they hear, or they've flown into Newark airport which is in the armpit of the State, and that's what they think the whole place is like. I really like being from there, even though there's nothing there right now (outside of family) that makes me want to live there now.

I suppose it's just a case of never really forgetting where you're from.

2 comments:

Nick said...

You mean you're not in the Mafia!

My disappointment is overwhelming.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, who did put that horses head in my bed then? ;o)