Sunday, March 19, 2006

The Adventures of Bob and the ass in the express lane

I've found a new pet peeve. It's one that other people have because it's been mentioned on late night talk shows, stand-up comedy routines, and sit coms. 

It's the express lane at the grocery store. 

Today, I went to Safeway to get some things to cook for dinner and I went to the 15 items or less lane. The guy in front of me had nearly 15 frozen pizzas, let alone the 9 cans of cat food he had, and the various other items. It's not like he was one or two items over 15...this guy's total was well into the 20's. It wasn't even busy in the other lanes!

The real reason why I'm angry about it is because he was perpetuating my hunger. I'd been way on the south side of Denver at a friends' place getting new shelves for my trailer, and I didn't eat anything substantial all day. I was looking forward to making a nice chicken and pasta meal when this rude interruption happened, caused by a guy with no grocery store etiquette. 

Obviously, the story has a happy ending because I got checked out, and I did make my very nice chicken and pasta. Nevertheless, this guy's violation of the express lane rules has stuck with me, and I realize now that it will always be something that bugs me.

------

My sister lost her beloved cat Bob this week. Bob was a gorgeous black persian with piercing eyes. He was a ripe ole 17 years of age. He'd been around since before both of my sister's children, and they have grown up with him as a member of the family. Bob was a fiercly independent cat in his early years, and was actually quite a recluse. His rare appearances were usually purposeful as he was only trying to go from one hiding place to another. All of them were far from human contact. As he got older, he became much more social and even became a lap cat. He loved being combed, and would express his delight by pawing at your leg even though he had long since had his claws removed. He was a great family pet, and he is missed.

R.I.P Bob. May you find an eternal field of catnip.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeez Chris, have you been reading Samuris blog too much ?, let it go, there's far more important things to think about

like heckling me and dave at the 24/12 every lap :-)

Anonymous said...

Poor Bob :(

G as in Chris said...

Where would we be without life's little annoyances, Steve? I'm not hung up on it, or anything.

Anonymous said...

yeah, you'll never catch me getting annoyed with trivia like that ;-)

Anonymous said...

Hey sis. Thanks for kind words about my old man - Bob. He was a great cat. Just so you know though, he had all of his claws - he just never used them!!! And, I still have yet to see the "ghost" cat again! Freaky.