Tuesday, January 01, 2008

A New Year of Underwater Basket Weaving


Head shown for size reference. Please refrain from suggestions that I have a large noggin.

Yeah, that's right. I know how to weave baskets. You gotta problem with that??

My sister has been doing it for a while and a few years ago she started teaching me how. I've kept it quiet, but now I'm ready to come out of the craft closet and let the world know that I CAN MAKE SOMETHING WITH MY OWN TWO HANDS (and the two hands that belong to my sister, the expert). I am not ashamed. Say what you will. It's actually quite enjoyable and I like the idea of being able to make something functional. So there.


So the one up there is the one that we started the other day. It will hold my wooly hats and gloves once I'm settled in the Northeast.

I'm now in Buffalo, NY on my way to Madison for a few days of meetings. I drove through snow storms all day long. This might have been the toughest day of driving I've ever done.

And this concludes my 'completely unrelated to the New Year' post.

Best of luck to everyone in 2008.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh. I'm so proud! (big sis shedding small tear)

G as in Chris said...

Oh stop it!

simondbarnes said...

Glad you made it through the snowstorms safely! Send them this way, I need to ride bikes in the snow :)

Anonymous said...

I thought it was the West coast where all the hippies lived? :-)

Steve J Makin said...

oh great, just what I need, another basket case :-)

start talking to Sara about a week trip in the states, you two need to coincide schedules and let me know the outcome, we need bikes, hills and coffee, have you got those things there ?

G as in Chris said...

Start talking!? That's easy. So is the rest, really. Bring Barnes with you.

Anonymous said...

So, interesting fact: the official total of snow in Concord, New Hampshire for December ALONE was 44.5 inches. Henniker, the future home of one Chris Garrison, being 20 miles outside of Concord, and just that much higher in elevation got 5 more inches! As we speak, the crews are literally loading up dumptrucks down the street with snow to be hauled away!

simondbarnes said...

I don't think there has been 50 inches of snow in total for the last 35 years wherever I've lived!

Steve J Makin said...

thats a lot of baskets of snow !









can you see a theme developing here ;-)

Anonymous said...

Have you taken up selling pegs then?

Need to confiscate the Makin Card to make sure Steve makes it over :)

Anonymous said...

I won't say anything about your head and the basket being the same size but I must say "what a big basket"

Ross said...

BOB SAGET!

Nick said...

44.5 inches would cripple the UK. We had a severe weather warning that there could be "up to 4mm of snow"!

Chipps said...

What a fine basket (and nice head too!)

Happy New Year to Ewes!

Rob Fisk said...

Hmmm, Chipps - can't believe you said that!

JMo said...

It took me long 'nuff but shoot looks like I found ya!
It was great seein' ya 'gain in Mad-Town.

Xs n Os

Jamie

G as in Chris said...

Oy! Can't you see I'm trying to post something new Hi-may!?