Thursday, August 25, 2005

Would you like some curry with that?

Two posts in a row? Don't get used to it...

I made an absolute crap curry for dinner tonight. I'm sure it was my worst ever. I didn't have the right spices (like curry) and wound up making something way too hot. I was bummed, especially as I was cooking for friends. Ah well, better luck next time.

Chrissy and I did some quick shopping in downtown Victoria today. She took me to the British Candies shop where I scored some Malteasers, some treacle toffee, dark chocolate Digestives, and some Yorkshire tea. I actually passed on the Jaffa Cakes (no idea why), and was denied the Tangfastics. We hit this t-shirt shop which has to be the best I've been in ever. I scored a shirt with Shaun, the sheep from Wallace and Gromit on the front. Sweet! Sheep are great. After that, she treated me to a massage with her local massage guy. He's an ex-pat Scotsman who's lived in Victoria for many years. Nice man, great massage, and my favorite accent.

Still wondering when I'm going to shake this feeling of homesickness. Everyday I wake up wondering if I'm going to feel differently, and I don't. What makes me happy is knowing that there's a collection of people who seem to genuinely want me back as well. I keep thinking a year is a long way off for any sort of permanent return, but I'm going to be so busy between now and then that the time will be upon me before I know it. A lot can happen in a year. I hope that this time next year I'm still feeling as strong a desire to relocate as I do now, and I hope that I have the job support to make the move.

I've been thinking a lot lately about the demise of my relationship. I'm definitely not over it and I still have periods of real sadness. I've tried to avoid letting conversations with others dwell on something that I still can't change, but it seems that everyone has some light to shed on the subject. I do appreciate this, although sometimes it leaves more questions than answers. I'm still left with a general lack of understanding, particularly since the frequency of my conversations with CC has increased of late. I think it was Jo who asked if it would be easier if all conversation had ceased. I think that would be worse since then I would feel that I'd not only lost a partner, but also a friend. What I do know is that my desire to return to the UK has nothing to do with him. I've thought long and hard about this. I wanted to make sure that my intentions were based on something other than any sort of hope that the relationship would be rekindled. I think I've worked that out.

More than anything, I'm grateful for the show of support that I've gotten from my friends. I was terribly paranoid that the end of things with *insert name here* would mean the end of all the friendships I'd formed with people I truly adore. Thanks to all of you! My next visit can't come soon enough.

Right, so no worries...I'm still having fun out here. As always, this blog is a place for me to simply vent some of the darker thoughts that run through my head. Life is generally great for me right now, and all indications point to it continuing to be so.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I scored some ... Yorkshire tea."

LOL. you mean "I wen'ter sweet shop 'n' got me sum reet good tea"

;-)

saw a great gift... but no idea where to send it??? (no reason, just saw it & thought of you...)

-Craig

Anonymous said...

Is Yorkshire tea any good? I don't mean the Harrogate blends in general, just the stuff branded up as Yorkshire tea and put in a box with cheesy dales scenes on the outside. Always assumed it would be nasty. We'll sort out a trip to a Betty's when you're over here sometime Chris, get a few cups of the good stuff. I've never been to the one in Ikley, should be able to do a good ride that ends there.

Nick said...

Turns out the guy at our local bike shop (local rather than preferred) met you when you were back at HQ.

Small world.

And I always thought Yorkshire Tea was specially formulated to cope with hard Yorkshire water. It'll only taste right in limestone country.

G as in Chris said...

Nick, was that Steve from Activ?

And Yorkshire tea is strong. I'm sure it's not the best, but when choices are limited, I'll take what I can get!

Jeff Kerkove said...

I might be joining you in Winter Park. Stay Tuned!

Anonymous said...

Hello,

Scottish Chris here...

Like Craig I have seen a 'wee something' which I suspect you may like... Let me know where I can post it to.

I wonder if it is the same thing...

mail me chris dot a dot marquis at jpmchase dot com and I'll mail it out to yer.

Nick said...

Don't know the name of the guy, but the bike shop is 'Buy-A-Bike'.

Thinking about Victoria, I remember it as a place that tried to be British but didn't quite get the details right. I figured I should emigrate and set up as an "English Consultant" with over 30 years experience :-)