Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Lindsey Lobster Claw

It seems that I should post something new, yet I am feeling a profound lack of anything worthwhile to say. Like normal, then!

New Orleans is a mess, as is most of the I-10 corridor. Lots of questions being raised...why did people stay, why do people live there in the first place, how long will it take for things to get back to normal. I want to feel sympathy. I really want to feel genuinely bad for the people who are now displaced. Truth is though, I don't feel as bad as I ought to, and that makes me feel pretty lousy. I can't really put my finger on why, either. I certainly wouldn't have wished this on anyone, and I'm not happy that it's happened. Maybe some of my reaction, or lack thereof, has to do with the fact that I've never enjoyed any time I spent in New Orleans, or that part of the country. If the same thing had happened to where I'm from, then I would probably want people to feel my pain, and to be sympathetic and willing to help however they can. I just feel disconnected from that part of the country, I guess.

I'm visiting my sister in New Hampshire again. Aside from the humidity, it's really nice here. I always enjoy coming here. I'm off home to Boulder next week, and I'll be spending some time with a few of my UK pals at SITS in Winter Park. I'm VERY much looking forward to that. The only bummer is that I have to drive myself out there...again. I'm so tempted to just buy a plane ticket. I have to keep reminding myself that I need the car to be in Colorado.

I haven't been riding enough, and I haven't been taking any pictures. I'm starting to get the shakes twice over.

I suppose that's it for now. My body hasn't adjusted to being in the Eastern time zone, so I'm off for another difficult night of getting to sleep.

2 comments:

Dan Lees said...

I wouldn't worry about not feeling bad, at the end of the day its a natural disaster and there's not much we can do about these things.

on the brightside at least the US has the resources to recover from these things quickly.

Could you imagine if the same thing happened to say Cuba? The death toll would have been much higher and the recovery would have taken much longer.

You can tell I'm in a jolly mood this morning.

G as in Chris said...

They are calling this the Tsunami of the US. I actually think that's pretty distasteful for the very reason you mentioned, Dan. We can recover from this, and pretty quickly, in the grand scheme.