Saturday, September 03, 2005

Skeletons in the closet

I started downsizing tonight. Being on the move for the better part of four years really teaches you just how much you can do without. Now that I'm back where the majority of my stuff lives, I face the prospect of sorting through it all and figuring out what I want to take to Boulder. I knew going into this process how I was going to feel: I have way too much crap. I feel like I should be selective as I'm sifting through it and see if there's anything I can sell. What I really want to do is just put everything is trash bags and set it out on the curb for collection. But, I'm trying to be less wasteful.

I'm also trying to not hold onto things 'just in case'. All of the suits and clothes I acquired during my Wall Street years have pretty much been collecting dust since the end of 2003. Going through them has been...weird. It seems like a lifetime ago when those items were my 'uniform'. I never fancied myself to be much of a suit person. I didn't hate it then, but I just can't imagine myself in them at this point. I'm a tad bummed, because some of the work clothes I have I really like. I splurged on really nice shirts a few times, and wish I still had reason to wear them. I suppose they'd look fine with jeans.

The whole thing really has me thinking about how much my life has changed over the past few years. I honestly think that , with the exception of a few patches of crab grass in the lawn of life, I've never been happier.

3 comments:

Nick said...

Throw out suits - you can always buy new ones.

Don't throw out your old race results - you'll never get them back.

Here speaketh the voice of experience :-)

MRMacrum said...

I am a dyed in the wool Pack Rat. I read your post and wonder why the agonizing? Just don't throw anything out. Works for me, but drives my wife crazy. All in all, a win, win situation.

CRUM From Maine

Anonymous said...

Don't throw out your old suits or shirts before wearing them at least one more time.
Ride your bike in them and see how your world has changed.
Go riding, pick a really wet day, get them covered in mud and stuff and have a whale of a time playin int mud, shower in them and then bin em laughing.
Bill(hugme) ;o)