Monday, July 14, 2008

The Usual Routine Plus

So I got to do some more downhilling over the weekend. Two runs, anyway. I was too busy helping other people have fun to do any more than that.

Yesterday was a bit of a washout, so DaveO and I packed up early to start driving home. I'm still a bit on UK time, so I knew I wasn't going to drive straight through, and I opted to stop West of NYC for the night in a town that's not too far away from where I used to live in Jersey.

Since I'm making a concerted effort to eat better and consume veggies every day, I've eliminated the usual search for tuna sandwiches from Quizno's and Subway in favor of spinach salads. With that in mind, I stopped at a grocery store in town here to find their salad bar. Every grocery store in the world seems to have a salad bar these days, except of course for the ShopRite in Clinton, NJ. They had some pre-made jobbies, but they looked horrible and I'd rather go out to the closest field and munch on some tall grass than eat iceberg lettuce. I wrote off the idea and prepared to exit the store and go over to the Quizno's, when I remembered the Jetboil.

I obtained it from a friend of DaveO's who works for Jetboil as an engineer. The first time I saw Dave make hot tea earlier this year during a cold event, I immediately wanted one. I thought of all the Yorkshire tea I could consume on the road with one of those. I could finally become a real caffeine junkie after all these years of not drinking coffee.

The Jetboil was packed into the trailer sometime in May, and after plans to camp during my Indiana trip were flooded out, I didn't have a chance to use the Jetboil as I'd hoped.

Until last night.

Failing in the salad bar department, the store did redeem itself somewhat by having cans of my favorite organic lentil veggie soup. I bought some, and a can opener, and had a sense of excitement about an addition to my usual hotel routine, which normally goes as follows:

-Find hotel
-Talk desk clerk into cheap rate
-Check in
-Drive rig around to the side door
-Sneak dog into hotel
-Pee
-Feed dog
-Switch on TV
-Flop on bed
-Open laptop
-Eat tuna sandwich

The rest of the night consists of catching up on Cheeky, emails, chats to anyone who is around, tv watching, dog walking, and sleep.

Last night, I changed it up a bit and instead of the tuna, I cooked hot soup in the Jetboil. And it was ace. It took about 2 minutes on very low heat.

I now have ideas about cooking pasta, and veggies, and lots of other healthy things. I think this will become particularly handy next week when I'm back in Quebec. Despite having practiced my French, I'm still not up to speed.

Hopefully I won't set off any fire alarms, or burn the hair off my hands during ignition.

8 comments:

simondbarnes said...

Jetboils are for outdoor cooking, not for hotel rooms!

Anonymous said...

Not if you site it in the bath. Unless it's a rubbish hotel with a plastic bath. After the lentil soup I suppose you blamed the dog for the smells too?

G as in Chris said...

Clearly I have proven that Jetboils are for cooking wherever you feel like it.

Roly: Whatever do you mean!?

JMo said...

Cooked food is over-rated.
I prefer mine to be raw. Raw meat is the best.
Especially if its nice n bloody.

G as in Chris said...

Were it anyone else who said that, Hi-may, I might be worried. But, since it's you, no.

Rob Fisk said...

Best not use the Jetboil when you're nekkid, then?

Up at Tim & Bees - sunshine, quiet trails and Craster kippers :)

Anonymous said...

Rob's got a valid point- I'd cook in the nude too, the smell of brunt arm hair and pube would mask any trace of lentil.

Anonymous said...

new to Jetboil? it is the most fabulous thing. i bought it so i can always have good coffee. however i quickly found it useful for a bit of pasta and steamed asparagus...anytime, anyplace! demo getting boring? how about some fresh coffee (or tea) to lift your spirits! Jetboil...i love you