Friday, March 11, 2005

Back by popular demand

I know, I know...I really do need to stop letting such huge gaps open between posts. I'll try to do better!

I just drove through an incredible blizzard. Cars were spinning out all over the place, and at one point there was zero visibility. All I could see (barely) was the reflection of the headlights on the guardrail. That at least gave me an idea of where one edge of the road was. Still, despite the really bad conditions there were people passing me and driving what I'm sure was the speed limit. I kept it down to 45, which was probably pushing it just a hair. It was a straight road though, and I left enough room between the car in front of me to be able to stop if they hit one of the many patches of snow-covered ice on the road and entered the tilt-a-whirl.

I couldn't help but think about the mindset that makes people drive that fast in those conditions. There's no way I would be comfortable doing that. I don't care how advanced car technology may be, Mother Nature is still going to win sometimes. Maybe my inability to be more trusting of the car and thus go faster, is the same thing that hinders me on a bike. I see people riding faster than me, and riding over things that I think I can ride, but I don't. I know that I could be driving faster on the road, but I don't want to take the risk.

It is a bitch being such a wimp sometimes though.

No comments: