Monday, January 10, 2005

No joy in Mudville...

Had my meeting at the British consulate today. I was hoping to walk out of there with a visa. That didn't happen. It doesn't look good, at this point. Very sad day, overall.

I've been thinking about that saying "the grass is always greener". Well, in England the grass is pretty much always green. I think it would be easy enough to say how cool it is and 'wow, I want to live there' after the right week of exposure. That happens almost everywhere I go for vacation. This is different, though. I spent the better part of a year in the UK, and can say with some degree of authority that for me, it really is better there. Now I'm faced with the possibility that I won't be allowed back in, when all I really want to do is spend time with my friends and ride bikes.

There were some people in front of me at the consulate today who were there get their work visa's so they could transfer over. I was totally envious. I have a friend who was working in the Bloomberg office in London and she just came back to the New York office. I catch myself thinking she's crazy. She'd been there for I think 3 years. I guess she was ready to come home. When I was still working, I was trying to convince her to come back, since I couldn't imagine why she'd wanted to stay that long. Funny how perspective's change and, in this case, become complete opposites.

I truly miss it over there. What doesn't help is the idea that if I get this Trek job, I'll be in Chicago 4 times. I absolutely hate Chicago.

And love is up in the air...so I rate this day a 1/10. I'm almost excited to go to bed so I can wake up and have it behind me.

1 comment:

Nick said...

I have been desperately searching the web for the 'Green Card' script to spoof for you. Except Chipps'd have to be Andy McDowell, and you'd be, er, Gerard Depardieu. On second thoughts maybe you're fortunate I haven't tracked one down.

Best of luck with the Consulate.