Thursday, June 16, 2005

Step 1: Admit you have a problem

The feeling of helplessness can manifest itself in many ways and many circumstances. Sometimes you can feel helpless to help yourself, and other times you can feel helpless to do something to improve the life of someone else. It always sucks.

I'm feeling helpless right now. Not about myself, though. There's someone close to me that's going through a rough time by having to deal with many things at once. These are things that I know, without a doubt, that I could make better. At the very least I could contribute to the reduction of stress that's being felt. I can't take any action though, because there's a big 'ole ocean sitting between us. So, I'm left with nothing but words to use as aid. This is where my helplessness really kicks in. If I were there, I could just do stuff. Instead, I'm left with having to write down some ideas for what can be done. A person has to be willing to make changes though, and I'm not sure that's something that this friend can make himself do.

Sometimes it's easier to just maintain the status quo and be miserable, than it is to expend any more energy to try and make things easier.

----

On a happier note, I had two sheep sightings on the drive to Denver from Texas. It's always nice to see sheep, especially during a long drive. Sheep are great, you know.

1 comment:

G as in Chris said...

Well, if that's my biggest fault, I'm ok with that. :~)