Thursday, December 30, 2004

Washed away, New York, NY

I'm sitting here in the place that I sometimes called home in the Big Apple. As usual, my former roommate and I ordered Chinese takeout, caught up on gossip, started watching tv, and then she fell asleep on the couch. Normal stuff.

Meanwhile on the other side of the world, the death toll is now up to 125,000 and 5 million people are displaced. I've been trying to gauge my reaction to this. It's almost like there's so much grief that it's hard to feel any at all. How do you comprehend that many people dead from one disaster?

Back in the belly, the traffic was pretty bad. I'm sure it's all the New Year's revelers heading into town early for the weekend. I thought about going down to check out Times Square, but I might save that for tomorrow to see how many people are camped out. No llingering, though. I've got to beat the rush out of town. This is the last place I want to be trapped.

No comments: