Saturday, October 15, 2005

Old Speckled Hen and Fish n' Chips

Last night, I was riding my bike to do some quick errands (renting a movie and going to Safeway) when I got a call from Maverick Ray. He was trying to find Skurlock's house to drop something off, and in the process asked if I'd eaten. I called CJ to see what he was up to, and the three of us went to this place that Ray had heard about, but not been to yet.

At first glance, The Hungry Toad looks sort of like any other Boulder cafe/restaurant. Small enough to be niche and crowded. Corner location across from one of the 'hip' shopping centers in town, maroon awnings, neon in the window. But step into the place, and it takes on a somewhat familiar look: a US restaurant trying to look like a proper pub. Actually, it's not a bad effort.

I usually check out the beer list first in the desperate hope that someday, I'm going to find my beloved yet oh-so elusive Banana Bread Beer. I've yet to find it. Anyhoo...this beer menu did have some rather fine choices for a Yank establishment, including Old Speckled Hen, Fullers ESB, Young's London, and Boddington's. Good enough for me! I'll take a Speckled Hen, please.

Not knowing what type of fare to expect, I took a look at the menu. It had the usuals, like burgers, pastas, salads, and some 'house specialty', but it also included bangers and mash, Shepherd's pie, and beer battered fish n' chips. After a discussion of what people were having, it was decided that Ray would order the Shepherd's pie, and I would get the chippy option. CJ, fresh from a visit to a nutritionist due to acid reflux, was on salad.

Imagine my delight when Ray's pie was proper pub style with mashed potato layered on top of that serving dish that looks like a flattened gravy bowl. It was made with beef, not lamb (whew!), so I tried some and it was almost like being in the Staff of Life! I was also pleased to be offered vinegar for my chips.

What a great meal.

I bought a hip flask today. It's a small one, with pink fake snakeskin print. I've got a small bottle of Isle of Jura sitting here that's going to get decanted right in there.

So, I now have a hip flask, some Tangfastics, and a halfway decent pub.

Anyone fancy a trip to Colorado for the Thursday night ride??

1 comment:

Nick said...

Do they have Yorkshire Pudding?

http://www.32sixteen.com/yorkie.jpg