Friday, October 07, 2005

Pumpkin Ale

What's great about Fall? Seasonal beer!

The seasons are definitely changing here. The sun has been out (of course) and it's been crisp. Feels great, actually. I've worn a wool jersey riding the last 2 times which of course reminds me that sheep are great. I've been having a blast on the singlespeed, and today took along some Tangfastics. All that was missing was a hip flask and a fun group of friends. It occurred to me on the ride that it's probably good that I'm riding alone for the time being. The trail I've been doing isn't hard by any stretch, but for someone who isn't a good climber even with gears it's doubly difficult on a 1 speed. It's a one way trail that the parks service changes, and this week it flip flopped. I rode it in the opposite direction for the first time since my very first go on this trail earlier this summer. It's more flowy on the singlespeed, but the uphill is harder. This trail basically consists of a downhill stretch at the beginning, and a climb at the end no matter which way you go. The result is that I stop to catch my breath a lot, which is why it's probably good that I'm not torturing anyone else on the ride.

At the end, I always have a feeling of satisfaction that I don't quite get on my geared bike. At the same time, I still feel like I'm a pretend singlespeeder. Surely someone as bad on a 1 speed as I am can't really call themselves a 'singlespeeder'. I don't think I'm doing the clique any justice. Damnit, it sure is a load of fun.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you're riding a bike with one gear, you're a singlespeeder. There's no such thing as "proper" or "real" singlespeeds or singlespeeders. It matters not if it's got suspension, what the tyres are, what it's made of, where it was made, what colour it is or how many hills you have to push it up, if it's got one bike it's a singlespeed and if you're riding it, you're a singlespeeder.

HTH ;-)

Anonymous said...

I think Peter got rid of your Pumpkin Ale. How about a dose of pumpkin ice cream and a run through one of the corn mazes instead??!!! :)

Anonymous said...

You are heading for such a slap girl, of course your'e a bleeding singlespeeder, you ride a single speed bike and have fun doing it, since when did anything else count ?

Which of your singlespeed bikes did you ride BTW ?, I thought that the Spot was still over here ?

:-)

Nick said...

What MikeD said.

Unless of course your bike is a 29-incher. Then you're not a singlespeeder, you're just a g a y e r.

;-)

Anonymous said...

Good heavens woman, I should pay more attention to your blog and the complete nonsense it occasionally spouts. A good thing Steve and co. are here to talk sense to you.

Pfffft!

;o)

G as in Chris said...

The bike I have here is a Gary Fisher Rig, so yes, it is a 29er. So's the Spot. I'm a big fan of the big wheels.