Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Small rant

I'll warn you now that I'm about to drop the F bomb. Continue reading at your own discretion.

I am fucking sick of commercials for anything weight loss related. This includes things like Special K cereal bars, Jenny Craig Weight Loss Centers, Weight Watchers, and the like. In 99% of these, women are featured and in the case of the cereal bar, one women is looking admiringly at her coworker who, as a result of eating the bar, is suddenly light as a feather while the other one looks frumpy and unhappy. As if we needed an ad agency to remind us that we are all insecure and generaly feel inadequate. Don't even get me started on this culture's view of how women look, or more aptly should look. I am absolutely tired of it all. Bill Hicks was right.

It occurred to me while I was fuming after the latest installment of this type of ad that there are an awful lot of problems that can be resolved by riding a bike. Some of them may be only temporarily placed on hold while others, such as one's self-esteem, can be fixed on a more permanent basis.

We should all be riding bikes more.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I solve the advert problem by not watching any of them. I guess that's rather more difficult over there where you have about 50 million ad breaks an hour.

Riding bikes solves all sorts of things, unfortunately I have not been able to ride mine for 9 days :'(

Anonymous said...

go wash your mouth out with soap



:-)

Kelvin said...

We could do with more belly and less washboard stomachs in adverts as well,
"Drink beer, get wobbly, have a laugh with others."

Anonymous said...

As if we needed an ad agency to remind us that we are all insecure and generaly feel inadequate

Well, that's what ad agencies do. They wouldn't get many contracts by making us all feel joyous and fulfilled and running slogans like, "Don't buy our shit, you've got all the consumer goods you need already, save your money."

I'd like to try and run one that did that, though ;-)

Anonymous said...

I agree! It's all in the spin, which is what the agency is paid to provide. Besides, didn't you know that only women who are a size 0 are happy? Anyone size 2 and above is miserable. Oh please...