Monday, May 04, 2009

Day 5-Port Huron to Traverse City, MI


I had a leisurely morning today. I set off for Traverse City around noon, and made a stop at a big outlet center in Frankenmuth. I wanted to check out the Nike store to see if they had any 6.0's around, and they did. A nice addition to my shoe collection.

It was another 160 miles to Traverse City from Frankenmuth. The drive was uneventful, and the temperature was cooler by 10 degrees when I arrived in town. The scenery changed somewhere along the way from flat and straight to suddenly hilly and full of pine trees. It reminded me of home, and a flatter Colorado with the added benefit of water. A great first impression, all in all.

My hotel lies on the edge of town, and directly across the street from Grand Traverse Bay. The first step in the arrival process was to back the trailer into a parking spot, and unhitch. This is an overwhelmingly liberating feeling. It's almost fun to drive the truck when the trailer isn't albatrossing it. Next, a treat for Frazier, who stuck with me through the drive and even put up with my shopping side trip. It took him next to no time to hit the water. He startled a couple of Canada Geese who decided to linger about 30 feet off shore. Frazier ignored them for the most part, but at one point he couldn't take it any more, and he started to head out after them. "Honk honk!", they protested. I was expecting him to start swimming and realize he couldn't make it to them, but he just kept leeping through the water. I realized that it stayed pretty shallow, and he was probably 80 feet away from shore before the bottom dropped. Fortunately, he then turned around and made the trip back to shore. I thought for sure I was about to get my feet wet to retrieve him. He is now sacked out on the floor, once again.

I read recently about how great dollar stores are. I passed one on the way in, and had heard that you can save a bunch of money on olive oil. I'd found a co-op in town, and since the hotel I'm in has a kitchenette, I started looking forward to being able to cook my own food. I went to the dollar store and bought olive oil for a song, a cheese grater for the parmesan I planned to buy, and some storage containers for any leftovers I might wind up with. Then it was off to the co-op for fresh produce, garlic, red onion, some sort of Japanese sweet potato that I never knew existed, various other things, and chocolate.

Outside of the store I ran into 3 people on bikes who saw the truck and started talking to me. I noticed that there are loads of people on bikes here. These people had plans to attend the ladies' night I'm here for later this week, so we got to chatting. They gave me some great local knowledge, including the fact that there's a rail trail that literally runs right behind the hotel and goes to some other bay for 15 miles one way. Then one of them offered to let me keep Frazier in her fenced in back yard so that I could go see some of the local attractions. Numbers and names were exchanged. Things are suddenly looking up.

Back to the hotel for cooking, and a nice veggie and chicken sausage stir fry later, I'm happily sitting here typing away with a belly full of veggies and rocket salad.

4 comments:

Fat Lad said...

Good to see you posting again :)

Fat Lad

adjustablecrumpet said...

Thanks Chris. Really enjoying reading these and receiving some vicarious driving, riding and wrenching joys. But what the hell is chicken sausage? ;-)

G as in Chris said...

Hey Jenn. I certainly hope you are rapidly on the mend. So sorry to hear about the injury, but I'm sure you will heal fast.

Chicken sausages are not pork sausages. :~) I bought a pack of spinach and feta stuffed ones. Yum!

Fat Lad: Good to see you commenting again. ;~)

adjustablecrumpet said...

stuffed chicken sausages?

that's even worse :-)