Friday, May 08, 2009

Day 9-Livonia, MI


Time to pack and ship out, but first! a bike ride!

I spent the morning rounding up the various things I'd taken into my little suite. I tidied up the two-sided Dakine bag full of my clean clothes, put away all the foody provisions into the waterproof Rubbermaid storage container, put the dirty laundry into the laundry bag, rounded up the toiletries from the shower, packed my overnight bag with a work shirt and change of clothes for tonight's hotel, and gathered up Frazier's food and water bowls.

The cross bike went back into the trailer, the shoes were stored under the seats in the truck, or in little nooks in the trailer, the dog and food containers went into the back of the truck, the few items in the fridge were placed in the little cooler with the two trays of ice from the freezer, the few bottles of beer and wine that were left were carefully wrapped in paper and nestled into a box in the trailer, and various cables and leads were put into the small messenger bag.

Once everthing was ready to go, it was time to bid farewell to the Traverse Bay Inn. I'd like to say I'd stay there again, and I would, but next time I think I'll find someplace a bit closer to downtown, and maybe on the water side of the very busy road instead of on the other side of it, requiring a perilous road crossing to the shoreline.

Off I went to Brick Wheels again to meet up with Paula, the woman from last night who wanted to try the Madone. I got her bike ready with pedals and a quick once over of the gears, then got my bike ready and changed into some riding kit. A quick saddle addjustment later, and we were off up the peninsula that runs between the East and West Grand Traverse Bays. Stunning. The people who live in this area and get to ride here all the time are really very, very fortunate.

At some point we took a left so Paula could check out the bike on a hill. It was fairly steep. At the top we were greeted with rows and rows of blossoming cherry trees (this is a huge area for cherry orchards), and a vineyard on the right with a tasting room. Paula hadn't even finished making the suggestion that we stop for a tasting before I had my bike halfway turned around toward the driveway. I highly recommend mid-ride wine tastings. It reminded me of our little adventure in Napa during SSWC last year. This time, were in full riding kit. There's nothing quite like the shocked look on the faces of people who see riders clip clopping their way to the bar in a tasting room.

After the ride, it was time to get ready to head out of town. I had one stop to make at Jan's house to drop off a couple of bottles of wine I'd gotten for her as a thank you for the use of her back yard, and for her general kindness towards a weary road warrior.

Leaving Traverse City was not easy. What a great place. I was truly sorry to say goodbye.

Now I'm back near Detroit for a big multi-vendor demo tomorrow. Back to the grind.

No comments: