Sunday, March 23, 2008

Cow Flop Doesn't Freeze

So I went out with my nephew tonight to get some shots of the moon. We have some pretty cool moon rises around here. I thought the best place to shoot would be along a road out of town next to a large field. At one point along the road, there is a parking area. I turned into it and discovered that there's actually a road out the other end of parking area and into the field. I thought this would lead to a great spot for shooting.

After about 150 yards of rutted bumpiness, we rounded a bend and were met with a wall of dirt and snow. Dead end. I got out and was immediately smacked with an unmistakable odor.

"It smells like poo," I said to my nephew. I figured maybe there was a horse farm nearby. We were in the middle of a field, after all.

I decided to scope out what was on the other side of the snow pile, so I approached, my little head torch showing me what seemed to be a solid mass of snow and dirt that had been dug up from the plow.

I raised my left foot and took a step to begin my ascent. I was surprised when it sank into some very soft...shit. I looked down to see my half buried foot. My mind went into that processing mode when everything seems like it's running through your brain in slow motion. All at once I realized where that odor was coming from, and the fact that it was emanating from the pile my foot was in. As I extricated my foot it made that slurpy sucking noise that you hear when you pull your shoe out of deep, wet mud...or shit.

So gross.

I immediately backed away and walked to a very white part of the snow pile that surrounded the little patch we were in. I started jabbing at it with my foot, only to discover that the below freezing temperatures had solidified the snow again. I was kicking ice. Everything around us was frozen solid...except for the huge pile of poo. Then I remembered a bottle of water I'd left in the car. By the mercy of God it was nearly full, so at least I could rinse off the disgusting crap. The worst was realizing that I'd gotten some on the bottom of my wool jeans.

"Well I guess we figured out where the smell was coming from," I said to Taylor. He was obviously getting a hearty guffaw out of this.

We finished the shoot and headed home. When I got back in and Ruth asked how it went, my reply was obvious: "Shitty."

The result:

Cheese

7 comments:

simondbarnes said...

Hahahahahahahahaha!

Worth getting shitty, the moon shot is ace :)

Rob Fisk said...

Poor effort - I was hoping for some shots of a shity foot :)

Willu said...

That's a tremendous photo. Well beyond my point and shoot capabilities.

Just so you know,there is no F chord in 'Not Ready to Make Nice'

But you DO need to persist and learn the chord. You can do it. Bring your thumb opposite your index finger and squeeze.

Steve J Makin said...

hey Taylor, for a real good laugh try and tape her snoring sounds :-)

G as in Chris said...

I DID NOT FALL ASLEEP IN YOUR CAR, MAKIN!

You're the one who snores. :~p

Steve J Makin said...

I thought it was sighing and yawning ?

Snakebite said...

What else doesn't freeze? Alcohol. Maybe you stepped in cow shit from a cow that had been drinking.