Sunday, March 09, 2008

I Believe Elephants Live on the Moon

Another turn of the clocks, another shift in the weather, and another chance for a personal attitude adjustment.

Let me skip to the end of the story. This is going to be cryptic, but hopefully there's a message in here somewhere.

...So I'm going to try and be more patient. I'm going to do the best I can to let my emotional guard down, and put some trust in someone else. I'm not going to assume that things that have happened in the past are going to happen again now. I'm going to try and improve the way I think about myself.

People adapt and change as they grow older. It might not be some huge, monumental shift. It might be something subtle. I have a fairly good idea about the things I need to change personally. They're actually pretty big. I have no idea if I'm capable of doing it or not. Believing good things about oneself is not easy to do. I worry that it will make me become an egotist, or I'll somehow otherwise change not for the better.

The twist in the plot is that I have no problems telling other people how great they are. And I believe it with every fiber of my being. I understand what it's like to find compliments hard to take. I get frustrated when they are received with the same sort of response that I normally give, yet I can't seem to apply logic to my own response when I'm on the receiving end. "Do as I say..."

I know a lot of people who are examples of those who restore my faith in humanity. It's not all doom and gloom, or misanthropic and cynical.

I'd like to try letting go some. We'll see what happens. I think I'll be ok, I'm in good hands.

5 comments:

Snakebite said...

Cryptic...hmmm....you're in good hands...hmmm...

You just got car insurance with AllState?

Me said...

Ah, my soul sister strikes again! You haven't been on a turbo trainer recently have you?

Anyway, we believe in you. You're ace! ;-)

Ross said...

Don't worry, Christopher. I don't care what your grandma told me, I still think you're cool. And that monkey's hair will grow back.

G as in Chris said...

After the successful re-growth of your wild boar hair, I'm confident that I'll have no problems.

Anonymous said...

Are you 'in like' again?