Thursday, March 27, 2008

When will the sleep come?

I haven't been sleeping well the past few nights because I've had that 'work's about to start' anxiousness. My brain has been making lists and I've had to start piecing together a plan before heading out.

This is why I am awake at 2:30 in the morning, despite having spent the entire day walking around Portsmouth, NH and Kittery, ME with my sister. We've been planning a trip over to the coast for some time now. It was always due to be on a Wednesday since Ruth doesn't work on Wednesdays. We've been thwarted by one thing or another (mostly crap weather). We were running out of chances since I head out this weekend, and neither one of us wants to deal with the tourons who flock there in the summer.

The weather last night was telling us it was going to be a sloppy day. It started snowing around 11pm last night, but by the time I got up this morning the sun was out. So, we made a spontaneous decision to go for it and make the long awaited trip. It was well worth it. The day got more gorgeous as it progressed; the temperature topped out around 50. I took loads of pictures, we collected some cool rocks, and we shopped. We didn't make it home until just before 10pm. Then, Sara called for our overdue catch up chat, courtesy of ITV.

My head hit the pillow just after midnight. I didn't even have the energy to edit photos. Despite that, my mind went into list making mode. Flip, flop. Toss, turn. SHUT UP BRAIN! How can I not sleep despite being this tired!? I need to reply to this email, and that email, and I need to send emails to these people. I've got phone calls to make, and scheduling items to firm up. Shipping to consider, laundry, packing...Get that cracked bit on the hitch fixed. Dog gets a haircut in 7 hours now...TAXES!! Do my expenses, send that form back to Boulder to let them know I can't possibly do jury duty because I don't live there anymore.

So I've spent the last hour catching up on the email portion of my to do list. After that, I wasn't quite tired enough yet, hence this post. It's now 2:48am. I'm going to shut the lid and try to get some sleep now.

7 comments:

simondbarnes said...

Bah, I was expecting to wake up to pictures!

Rob Fisk said...

"by the time I got up this morning the sun was out"

There might be a clue here , Chris - try getting up earlier :)

G as in Chris said...

Not everyone gets up BEFORE the chickens, Rob!

Simon...in a bit, I promise.

Anonymous said...

only trouble is that you'd wake yourself up :-)

Snakebite said...

I recommend drinking - lots. Drink the same stuff the cow who's flop wouldn't freeze drank. It's gotta be good!

JMo said...

The best sleep comes after a shot of Nyquil.
Trust me.

P.S. -Cow crap does freeze, it just needs to be cold like in Wisconsin yo.

Anonymous said...

Welcome to my world :-/